Chicken, Spinach and Potatoes
Note: This dish screams “Sunday dinner,” Christy Denney writes in “Scrumptious” (Shadow Mountain, 2021). Chicken and potatoes topped with a garlic-Parmesan cream sauce make this a comfort meal that everyone loves.
Chicken, spinach and potatoes:
• 3 c. peeled and diced Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes (these don’t have to be peeled)
• 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
• 3 c. baby spinach, roughly chopped
Garlic-Parmesan Cream Sauce:
• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tbsp. flour
• 1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
• 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
• 1 tsp. dried rosemary
• 1/2 c. heavy cream
• 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
To prepare chicken: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Place in an even layer on bottom of prepared pan and season with salt and pepper season chicken with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, browning each side. Chicken will continue to cook in oven. Place on top of potatoes.
Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in skillet. Add spinach. Cook for about 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Add salt to taste. Place spinach in pan between chicken. Set pan aside.
To prepare garlic-Parmesan sauce: In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in chicken broth, thyme and rosemary. Stir in cream and Parmesan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour sauce over chicken. Cover with foil and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender and chicken is no longer pink. Serve warm.